4 Clear Signs It is Time to Restructure Your IT Department
When you face significant departmental challenges and issues, restructuring is most likely the last solution you have in mind. The word has a negative connotation, and the act is viewed as an acknowledgment of failure. Because of this, leaders are often reluctant to choose this approach.
The truth is it is much like any other business solution. Restructuring happens when the situation warrants change, and with the goal of boosting overall team performance.
As a managed IT service provider (MSP) for two decades, Intelligent Technical Solutions (ITS) has helped businesses make organizational changes to improve their operations and reach their goals.
In this article, we will help you determine whether restructuring is the right call and what an MSP can do to help. We will do this by discussing:
- The four clear signs it is time to restructure your IT department and
- Four ways an MSP can help.
These should help you make appropriate changes to your team so they can work optimally and deliver the best output.
4 Signs It is Time to Restructure Your IT Department
Restructuring can be an arduous task, but it is done to improve operational efficiency and productivity. It should only be carried out after careful thought and consideration and with good reason.
In fact, there are clear signs that signify the need to restructure, and they are:
1. Your business has undergone significant change.
Mergers, acquisitions, and expansions are organizational changes that can alter processes and procedures. External factors, such as emerging trends within your industry, could also be catalysts for change. As examples, consider the impacts of cloud computing, Internet of Things (IoT), and artificial intelligence (AI).
Your IT department needs to adapt to these new realities and cater to the shifting needs and goals of the business. All this is necessary to sustain growth and stay competitive.
2. Most of your Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are Red.
Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are set through proper data analytics, meaning they are realistic metrics that your team should be able to achieve. Included here are average issue handle time, server downtime and uptime, and missed deadlines. While they will not always be in the green, they cannot all be in the red. That is a clear sign that your approach is not working and restructuring is in order.
Evaluate your team and determine the reason for the mediocre performance. Knowing their struggles will lead you to better solutions. It also helps to inform members beforehand so they can prepare for whatever change may come.
3. You are trapped in a state of stagnation.
While not as alarming as unmet KPIs, stagnancy is also a concerning issue that needs to be addressed. Evidence of stagnation is rarely apparent, making it difficult to solve or notice.
For example, this could mean barely meeting your metrics, lacking innovation, or experiencing no growth. Stagnation is becoming complacent. You are in a rut. And that is something you cannot afford in the fast-paced field of tech.
You need to find a way to encourage continuous learning and development so your members can bring fresh ideas and perspectives to boost your team.
4. There is noticeable friction within the team.
Conflict is commonplace in any organization and any team. However, they should never escalate to the point that they affect morale and results. When disputes remain unresolved despite your best attempts at mediation, it may be time for a redesign.
You can move members around, hire new people, or replace existing staff. The key is to respond quickly and deliberately to avoid compromising the team and performance.
Working with a team should never impede productivity, so learn to prioritize eliminating internal conflict. Doing so ensures that your team is focused on fulfilling their respective IT roles and producing optimal outcomes.
4 Ways a Managed Service Provider (MSP) Can Help with Restructuring
While managed service providers (MSPs) focus primarily on managing and utilizing your tech, there are important business processes they can help with to ease your restructuring process.
1. MSPs give expert insight on restructuring based on deep industry knowledge. Experienced MSPs have assisted many other businesses in this process. They can advise you when and how to change things up.
2. They can audit IT functions through network assessments to identify areas for improvement and retention. Remember that it does not have to be a complete overhaul. It could also be switching up the right functions and processes.
3. MSPs can draw an IT roadmap to direct your revamped department towards your goals. It is no secret that technology is vital to every business, and aligning your team and your technology is essential to success.
4. They can guide you through the process to ensure your restructuring is going well and done efficiently and effectively. It is a long journey, and it would help to have experts by your side to guide you.
Restructure Your IT Department with Expert Guidance
The decision to restructure your IT department should come from an informed and strategic place. There are often straightforward signs that tell you when it is necessary. You need to look out for them and act accordingly. Always keep in mind that the goal is to improve operations to produce better outcomes.
If you have decided to push through with restructuring, ITS is more than willing to lend you a hand. You can schedule a free network assessment to get a full grasp of your IT infrastructure or directly meet with one of our experts to learn more about how we can help your business.
And if you are still on the fence and want to expand your knowledge, read through our Learning Center content:
- 6 Signs You’ve Outgrown Your Internal IT (& Solutions)
- What Makes a Great IT Team?
- What is Co-Managed IT? [& Do You Need It?]