How to Protect Your Email from Cyber Attacks? [Video]
Multiple attacks against businesses of all sizes begin with your email. In this video, we'll teach you tips on how you can protect your email from cyber attacks.
After watching this video, you'll be able to:
- Learn how do hackers get a hold of your email
- Identify the potential attacks originating through your email
- Enumerate ways to protect your email
How do you make sure that your email is not compromised?
Most hackers get ahold of your email by sending two kinds of emails:
- Emails with attachments, where the user opens the attachments and will run a macro in a Word document and install malware on the computer.
- Emails with a phishing link, where a user may receive a link that will redirect to a look-a-like website, tricks the user to log in where they can steal your username and password.
What are potential attacks originating through your email?
- Business Email Compromise - hacker gets access to your organization's email where they can see anything that is being received or sent out using that email address. Attackers can leverage such information by:
- Spoofing or faking email from a vendor requesting payment
- Or sending a fake email to HR to change direct deposit information
- Ransomware - attacks may originate from an email where they encrypt your data and require payment for decryption, This can lead to possibly taking your business down and holding you ransom.
What are ways to protect your email?
- Multi-factor Authentication (MFA)
- Defender ATP (Advanced Threat Protection)
- Security Awareness Training
If you want to learn more on how to protect your emails using email encryption, please read our article entitled "What Is Email Encryption? Definition, Types, and Benefits".
For other cybersecurity-related videos and articles, please visit the ITS Learning Center.