Las Vegas managed IT service providers recently became aware of something fishy in a casino's cyber security.
According to BBC News, the casino had recently installed an impressive new aquarium in their lobby. Internet-connected sensors inside the tank automatically monitored the water quality and temperature, then relayed information to the casino's computer network. That high-tech system, ironically, created a security vulnerability.
While the casino's computer network was protected by firewalls and antivirus software, the internet-connected aquarium itself wasn't as secure. Computer hackers used the aquarium sensors to break into the computer network, intent on stealing the bank information of the casino's wealthy guests.
While the attack was stopped before any damage was done, it reveals a commonly-overlooked cyber security gap. As internet-connected devices become more common in the workplace, they open up new security vulnerabilities for computer hackers to exploit.
Top 10 Ways to Protect Your Computer Network from Devices
Internet-connected devices can create hidden dangers to your cyber security. Las Vegas managed IT service providers recommend taking these steps to protect your business computer network.
1. Do not allow devices to have direct web-facing connections. Direct connectivity to the internet can create a security risk.
2. Avoid devices that can't automatically update their firmware or install patches as needed.
3. Before connecting any device to your computer network, evaluate the levels of access this device actually needs.
4. Never use the default password. Always create new passwords for each individual device account. Make sure passwords are strong and unique.
5. Disable any features or services that are unsecured or unneeded.
6. Change the default credentials on every device.
7. Isolate internet-connected devices from critical networks by creating separate network zones.
8. Track all internet-connected devices by adding them to your inventory list of IT assets.
9. Have your managed IT service provider regularly check all internet-connected devices for updates, patches, and other security needs.
10. Ask your Las Vegas managed IT service provider to monitor the events and logs of all internet-connected devices.
Get a free cyber security audit from ITS
Intelligent Technical Solutions is a leading Las Vegas managed IT services company. Find out how ITS can protect your computer network against internet-connected devices and other cyber threats. Contact ITS today to get a free cyber security audit.
Intelligent Technical Solutions is a Managed IT Services Company here in Las Vegas. We set up, maintain and secure the technology of small and mid-size businesses across the metro area.
Our mission is to help businesses thrive by managing their technology.
Contact us to get a 2 Hour FREE Network Assessment.
Get a FREE Network Assessment
Restrictions and limitations: FREE Network Assessment for businesses with 9+ users/workstations. One assessment per business. New accounts only.